Nov 25, 2012

V-Con 37 part 2

Chrissy and Alys
setting up
Csinyos Creations
Set up Thursday was a great opportunity to meet people and make new friends. I really liked the way everyone helped everyone. Giving a hand here, lending something there, all around great sense of community amongst the dealers, and con goers as a whole.

All three days proved to be great for getting pictures of cosplayers. My favourite thing to do at a convention, being a photographer ;)

Friday started with a mini shoot with a lovely Steampunker, Jackie. We got about 20 frames in to the shoot when someone else decided to insert himself into the shoot. I am generally okay with this kind of impromptu addition to the photos, if it adds to it, but I had to constantly warn him about boundaries, as his kept getting his paint-ball  rifle right in her face and blocking me from the shot. All in all I did get some great shots of her.

Jackie the Steampunk Soldier
Saturday saw lots of hallway shots, which can be fun, but usually too quick to really get the essence of the person and persona. Nonetheless I got lots of great shots and met more than a few cool people.

The real fun came when I met a pair of serious cosplayers from Vancouver that I have since had the pleasure to interview and Feature on my Cosplayers of the Week site. They formed the group, Spectrum Cosplay and where playing Ariel from Disney's Little Mermaid, and Alice from Disney's Alice in Wonderland. I shot 104 frames with them over the course of the weekend, including a quick set including Mimi's boyfriend James as a Steampunk Mad Hatter.

Emmaline as Alice
Sue, my wife, got a great offer to buy some bodyform dummies from one of the other merchants at the convention. It was really a price she couldn't refuse, but had to because of our transportation method, SkyTrain on a Monday morning, Coachlines then Ferry and Transit. She got back to our table and told me about the offer, which was overheard by a fellow Victorian at the next table.

Mimi as Ariel
"I'll give you a ride." All of a sudden new possibilities erupted. We wouldn't have to go through the chaos of the Skytrain, as I described in Part 1, we would be home a day earlier, it would cost less. How could we say no?

The ride was great, thank you Mark and Barbara. We chipped in for gas and Ferry fare and got home late Sunday, so I was able to enjoy a few days of relaxation before going back to work. It's been a long time since I took a full week off work for vacation, I need to do it more often.

I have a whole gallery of images, some I added today, on my NightShadows web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment